We always look for good meals with tuna steak. We have found a winner with our Tuna pot pie from scratch recipe. It is delicious, nutritious, healthy, and satisfying.
Homemade Pot Pie Tuna Recipe
- 6 oz tuna steak
- 1 can mushroom soup
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package premade pie crusts (2 count)
- 2 aluminum foil pie shells (7 inch)
- Cut tuna steak into bite sized cubes. ( Why use fresh tuna steak? See tuna nutritional value below. )
- In large pot, heat olive oil on medium high. Add minced onions and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Stir in tuna steak cubes. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add soup, peas, carrots, and 1 cup of vegetable broth. Stir until well combined. Cook on medium for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add rest of broth. Cook on low for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Prepare pie shells
- Form a bottom crust in each aluminum shell. (1 pie crust per shell) Using a small knife, cut away excess pie crust. Note: save excess pie crust dough for later use.
- Fill each foil pan half way with tuna mixture. Sprinkle feta cheese crumbles on top.
- Fill foil pans almost to the top with more tuna mixture. Leave 1/2 inch rim.
- Roll out excess pie dough into 2 separate top crusts. Place top crusts on each foil pan.
- Using a fork, pinch the edges of the bottom and top crusts together. Poke fork holes in the top crust.
Bake and Serve
- Place foil pans on a baking sheet. Bake in oven at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes. Using a butter knife carefully loosen pot pie from foil pan. Place a plate upside down on pot pie. Flip the plate. Pot pie should slide out of pan easily.
- Slice pot pie in half and serve warm on separate plates. Each homemade pot pie should serve two people.
Tuna Steak Nutritional Value
We are constantly on the prowl for great tuna recipes because tuna is a nutritional powerhouse, a super food. In an article on LifHack.org, Tuna steak ranked as one of the healthiest foods to include in your diet. ( See Awesome Article ) Low in fat, calories and sodium. Nice! High in protein, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, niacin, and the ever elusive selenium. Nutritious! In addition, tuna has omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidant properties.
Another Meals with Tuna Steak idea: Homemade Tuna Noodle Casserole
Marinade for tuna steak
When researching recipes, we often see a wide range of choices when it comes to sauces and marinades. Oddly, as we gathered recipes, we noticed a strange pattern. Here is our marinade for tuna steak discovery.
Tip: Pot pie egg wash
One of the best parts of making tuna pot pie from scratch is when you first pull it from the oven. The true kitchen artists take this even further and create a pot pie egg wash used to give the crust for pot pie a shiny appearance. Just mix one egg and 2 ounces of water. Lightly brush the egg wash on the crust. Small price to pay for a kitchen work of art.
Best sides with pot pie
SOURCE: CookingChew article
Pot pie from scratch recipes
Turkey pot pie homemade
Beef Pot Pie homemade
Ree Drummonds chicken pot pie
Pot pie FAQs
Where is pot pie from?
Actually pot pies or meat pies date back to the Greeks in 9500 BC, then spread to the Romans, then to medieval Europe, then to England, and finally here in the US. The basic formula is meat, seasonings, and thickened broth in some type of pastry or bread.
Is pot pie healthy?
Yes...for the most part. Any homemade pot pie recipe will undoubtedly be healthy. However, many food manufacturers make frozen pot pies that are highly processed. Most people believe that processed food is less healthy. So, is pot pie healthy? The decision is yours. We are always satisfied when we serve our homemade tuna pot pie.
Is pot pie one word?
Very interesting question. Most people treat it as two separate words - "pot" and "pie". However, many dictionaries contain the word "potpie" with the same definition as "pot pie". See Dictionary.com
Can a pot pie be cooked in an air fryer?
Yes. Here is a post with instructions. "Frozen Chicken Pot Pie In The Air fryer"
Correct pot pie oven temp?
The standard pot pie oven temp is 425º F. (220º C) Please read the recipe closely for the exact temperature.
How many calories in pot pie?
The average is 400 kCal per serving. Calorie values can vary.