Other recipes you may like
Copyright © 2019 – Webtop Enterprise LLC
What is a tuna melt sandwich
Every diner has a Tuna Melt on the menu but what is a tuna melt sandwich? Find the answers here and discover a few secrets to making a great tuna melt in your kitchen. [Ad free recipe]
- 8 oz tuna (2 cans - We use fresh tuna steak)
- 2 oz green olives (chopped)
- 2 oz kosher dill pickles (chopped)
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 8 slices light rye bread
- softened butter (margarine OK)
- 2 tsp crushed red peppers (optional)
Our Secret Ingredients
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp whipped cream cheese
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chop olives and pickles. Chop tuna. Cut open avocado.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tuna, olives, pickles, mayonnaise, cream cheese and Dijon mustard. Mix together until ingredients are well combined. Note: We use fresh tuna steak because it is much healthier. ( See article from Whole Foods )
- Add shredded cheese and mix together. If you opt to use crushed peppers, add them now.
- Spread equal amounts of tuna mixture on 4 slices of rye bread. Put slice of rye bread on top. Lightly butter the top slice.
- Heat a large skillet on medium. Carefully place 2 of the sandwiches in skillet with buttered side down. Butter the top slices.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes. Check bottoms for a nice degree of brown. Once brown, flip sandwich in skillet. Again cook for 1-2 minutes while checking for a crispy brown look. Remove sandwiches from skillet. Note: Carefully watch the sandwiches as they cook. Otherwise, you will end up with a burnt tuna melt sandwich. (see photo)
- Repeat step 4 through step 6 for other two sandwiches.
- Cut in half and serve on plates. Serve with dill pickle spears for a more authentic taste. So what is a tuna melt sandwich - This is it!