Most cranberry sauce recipes call for 1 cup of sugar. That is a whopping SIXTEEN tablespoons. This recipe uses only three tablespoons of sugar. With the addition of walnuts (often considered a super food), this cranberry apple crisp is truly a healthy alternative to your typical cranberry sauce recipe.
Other recipes you may like
Copyright © 2019 – Webtop Enterprise LLC
Cranberry sauce with Apples and Walnuts
- 12 oz cranberries
- 2 apples
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vanilla syrup (not the same as vanilla extract)
- 1 cup orange juice (water is OK)
- 1 cup packaged granola
- 1/2 cup walnuts (finely chopped)
- Peel and core 2 apples. Cut into bite sized chunks. Wash the cranberries.
- In a sauce pan, add orange juice, 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon. Stir until combined. Add the cranberries and heat until the mixture begins to bubble. Turn heat to low. Continue to cook and stir until cranberries start to thicken. (about 3-5 minutes) Cook for another 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
Making Cranberry Apple Crisp with Walnuts
- In a baking dish, add 2 tbsp cinnamon and vanilla syrup. Add the apple chunks. Top with 1 tbsp of sugar and 1/2 cup of granola.
- Now, put the cranberry mixture on top of the apples. Top with 1/2 cup granola and 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts.
- Bake in oven at 350 F for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy the Cranberry sauce with apples and walnuts. Also try 3 Ingredient Apple Crisp More cranberry ideas from BossyKitchen