Made from scratch tomato soup
Our tomato soup vegan recipe is made with REAL tomatoes. No CAN goods here! Check out this simple easy recipe for tomato soup. This is comfort food made healthy.
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 3 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 cup vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp whole black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp plant butter
- Chop tomatoes. Minced onion and garlic.
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Put in mustard seeds. Wait until mustard seeds start to pop. Mix in minced onions and garlic. Stir and cook for 1 minute on high.
- Add Tomatoes, 1 cup broth, and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in rest of broth, chili powder, and turmeric. Cook on medium for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Put 80% of the mixture into a blender. Blend until smooth. Return smooth mixture to the pan. Cook on simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tbsp of plant butter. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot in bowls.Also try Tomato Zucchini Summer Soup from TheBossyKitchen
Is Tomato soup good for you
Tomato soup is packed with nutrients Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, and Potassium. It also is a great source of lycopene which is praised for its health benefits. Studies have shown tomato-based sauces and soups can promote healthy skin and vision, improve bone health, reduce cholesterol, boost immunity and reduce the risk of cancer. So is Tomato soup good for you? I think we can safely answer Yes.
Any health risks with Tomato soup
They say nothing is perfect and so is the case with tomato soup. For all of its health benefits, tomato soup has one glaring health issue. Tomatoes and tomato-based products are acidic in nature. This makes it difficult to digest tomato-based products like tomato soup. These products cause acid reflux and heartburn in many people.
Try our Easy Taco Soup recipe