Vegan Tacos recipe in Lettuce Wraps
Our vegan tacos recipe is both delicious and healthy. 100% Vegan ingredients. Served in lettuce wraps cuts carbs to almost zero. Spicy habanero sauce!
Vegan Taco Meat
- 8 oz organic tofu (extra firm)
- 1 tbsp spicy organic mustard
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 2 tbsp organic cilantro (fresh)
- 2 tbsp organic olive oil
- 1 tbsp organic habanero hot sauce
- 2 tbsp homemade taco season mix ( Watch DIY video )
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Vegan taco toppings
- 4 oz vegan cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup organic cucumber (chopped)
- 1 cup organic tomatoes (petite diced)
- 1 bunch organic romaine lettuce (for taco shells)
Making Tofu Taco Meat
- Cut tofu into small cubes. Mix tofu cubes, mustard, hot sauce and vinegar in a bowl. Make sure it is well coated.
- Heat oil in fry pan on high. Add onions. Cook and stir 30 seconds. Add tofu mixture. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add fresh cilantro. Cook and stir 30 seconds. Add taco mix and 1/2 cup water. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
Assemble Vegetarian Tacos
- Place 2 romaine leafs on a plate. Begin with adding tofu meat mixture. Top with diced tomatoes and cucumber bits. Finish off with some vegan cheese shreds.
Other Vegan Tacos Recipe Toppings
- • Organic Pinto beans • Fresh avocado slices • Vegan sour cream • Organic taco sauce • Also try our Festive Vegan Mexican Black Bean Casserole
Story behind Vegetarian Tacos
- Skip this section if you don't liking reading long-winded insights. I started like most of you - Taco Bell. Many people learn about Mexican food from Taco Bell. Sad, but true. As I was exposed to more authentic Mexican dishes, I became enamored with the Mexican cuisine. I probably have consumed several thousand tacos in my lifetime. Naturally I began developing my own recipes using fresher and more healthy ingredients. I create delicious tacos using higher quality meat, fresh seasonings, spicy peppers and a wide variety of toppings, In our kitchen, Taco Night is a joyous celebration.Moreover, I easily adapted my recipes to make vegetarian tacos. I would substitute meat with healthy alternatives like avocados, refried beans, or zucchini. Even the concept of using lettuce wraps versus traditional taco shells was not outside my cooking comfort zone.
Vegan Tacos recipe challenge
- It wasn't until I took part in a Vegan Tacos recipe challenge that I began to explore the whole concept of pure plant-based diets. At first, the restrictions seemed insurmountable. No meat, no dairy, no cheese, and no ingredients with animal products. I felt like I had nothing left to cooked with! Fortunately, plant-based meat substitutes are becoming more mainstream. Dairy items such as cheese and cream are benefiting from the Vegan movement also. All that was left was to tinker with combinations until I found the right one.
Vegan Taco Meat
- However, vegan taco meat proved to be more tricky than I thought. Most vegan substitutes lack the cooking textures and flavorings I am accustomed to. Most specifically, vegan taco meat is difficult to master, In the end, I settled upon tofu because of it's high protein, low fat combination. Mixing the tofu with spicy mustard, balsamic vinegar, and habanero hot sauce produces a distinctive taste. Perfect for vegan tacos.
New Taco Topping
- While I went about tweaking this recipe, I discovered a new topping for tacos - Cucumbers. I know, who would have thought? Best part of the story was this discovery was pure dumb luck. I happen to be cooking a stir fry and had some cucumber cubes left on the cutting board. I tossed them on one of my vegan tacos and become hooked. If you take nothing else from this recipe, try putting some cucumber bits on your next taco. Tell me what you think.