Our corn chowder vegan recipe is badass.
We take the classic recipe and bring it kicking & screaming into the 21st century. Healthy ingredients, nutritional star, planet-friendly, and 100% vegan.
Vegan Corn Chowder
- 1 can garbanzo beans (14.5 oz – rinsed)
- 1 can black beans (14.5 oz – rinsed)
- 1 can pinto beans (14.5 oz – rinsed)
- 1 bag frozen whole kernel corn (16 oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 1 tbsp Red Miso Paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cup water
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- 2 tbsp Vegan Cream Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Green Scallions (chopped)
- Crushed Chili Pepper Flakes
- In a large stock pot, heat oil. Stir in minced onions and cook for 30 seconds. Now stir in vegetable broth. Cook for 30 seconds. Add miso and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add corn, parsley, and bay leaves. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove the bay leaves and transfer corn mixture to a blender. Add cream cheese and blend until smooth.
- Return the blended mixture to the stock pot. Add beans. (All 3 types) Stir together and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve warm in bowls. Salt and pepper to taste.
Vegan Corn Chowder Secrets
- Why we skipped the potatoes? Traditionally, chowder soup includes potatoes. We used beans instead. Carb-wise, the two recipes are equal. However, the high fiber delivered by beans is a compelling nutritional reason for the switch. Besides, we like the eye appeal of beans versus potatoes.
- Why we use miso? Great soup has a healthy portion of salt. Much of the rich flavor comes from salt. Miso is an excellent source of sodium as well as lending that distinctive savory flavor miso is known for.
Corn chowder vegan recipe notes
Fiber Rich and Delicious
Vegan Corn Chowder is out of this world delicious. What people often miss is the nutritional value. With three types of beans, this recipe is fiber-rich and contains protein without the need of adding meat. Healthy, planet-friendly and delicious is a combination that you don’t want to miss.
Why we skip the potatoes?
Traditionally, chowder soup includes potatoes. We used beans instead. Carb-wise, the two recipes are equal. However, the high fiber delivered by beans is a compelling nutritional reason for the switch. Besides, we like the eye appeal of beans versus potatoes.
Why we use miso?
Great soup has a healthy portion of salt. Much of the rich flavor comes from salt. Miso is an excellent source of sodium as well as lending that distinctive savory flavor miso is known for. We have often wondered why most Western soup recipes do not use Miso.
Best Corn Chowder Recipes from the Web
In our opinion…here are the 6 best corn chowder recipes on the web.
InstaPot Corn Chowder Recipe
Corn chowder crock pot
Corn chowder potato bacon
Crab & corn chowder Recipe
Corn chowder with shrimp
Veggie corn chowder recipe
Another Vegan Soup recipe – Homemade Tomato Soup
Is corn chowder gluten free?
Is corn chowder gluten free? Yes, for the most part.
The term gluten-free describes foods that are free of gluten - a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Generally speaking, most corn chowder recipes do not include gluten ingredients.
12 favorite sides for corn chowder...
Here are some great sides for corn chowder
- Country Biscuits
- Cheese Biscuits
- Grilled Cheese
- BLT Sandwich
- Ham & Cheese
- Street Tacos
- Smoked Sausage
- Grilled Salmon
How many calories in corn chowder?
Calorie counts swing wildly depending on the ingredients. Items such as heavy cream, cheese, and bacon make significant differences. Our Corn chowder vegan recipe is much lighter than most at 225 kCal.
Can you freeze corn chowder soup?
Yes. The accepted length of time standard is 3 months. When soup is frozen, dairy products and potatoes can alter the texture. The effects of freezing can be minimized by adjusting recipes, using mashed potatoes, or taking the potato cubes out before freezing.
Is corn chowder bad for you?
No. While some of the recipes here contain less than healthy ingredients like bacon and heavy cream, our Corn chowder vegan recipe is low calorie and rich in fiber and nutrients.
Where did corn chowder originate?
Chowder recipes originated in the 16th century where fishermen would simmer a thick fish stew all day. Colonial settlers adopted the same idea but used corn instead of fish. Thus, corn chowder was born.
Is corn chowder low fat?
Is corn chowder low fat? Not really.
By default, Corn Chowder is fattening. It uses heavy cream and fatty meats. If you chose your ingredients wisely, you can create a healthy corn chowder recipe.