The use of Beyond Meat continues to improve the vegan options at Del Taco. The trend of fast food companies using vegan meat substitutes may be gaining traction, with Del Taco apparently taking the lead. Plant-based items were added to Del Taco’s menu for the first time in 2019, well ahead of most of their competitors.
Del Taco Beyond Taco recipe *Copycat*
Our copycat del taco beyond meat recipe is a family favorite on taco night. We pack so much flavor into these tacos, you will not even notice the so-called vegan meat. While there are thousands of recipes you can make with Beyond Meat, tacos are our absolute favorite.
Del Taco Beyond Meat Recipe
Meat mixture items
- 1 pound Beyond Meat™ beefy crumbles
- 1/2 can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion (minced)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Mexican spice blend
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup chopped lettuce (we like romaine)
- 6 oz grape tomatoes (sliced)
- 8 oz Monterey Jack shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Jalapeño slices
Mexican Spice Mix
- Combine all spices in a mixing bowl. Make sure all spices are thoroughly mixed together. Store in sealable glass jar.
Beyond meat taco mixture
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Sautee minced onions for 2-3 minutes. Add Beyond Meat® beefy crumbles and cook on medium for 3-4 minutes.
- In the same skillet, add tomatoes, 2 tbsp of Mexican Spice mix, and 1/2 cup of water. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
Assemble the Tacos
- Place flour tortillas on a moist paper towel and heat in the microwave for 40 seconds.
- Arrange all the toppings and let your guests assemble their own tacos. (I usually put a little of everything on my tacos.)
For Vegan Tacos, eliminate cheese and sour cream.
Calories at Del Taco
When pulling up to the drive-thru window, you may want a rough idea of the calories at Del Taco. Using information from their website, we compiled a few averages for your benefit.
Surprisingly, the 6 of the vegan options at Del Taco are higher in calories than their meat-based counterparts. For complete details of calories at Del Taco, see their nutritional guide.
Nutrition facts Del Taco
Check out our Article – Is Taco Bell Vegan?
Besides the calories discussed above, Del Taco has a few problem categories. First, they offer nothing on the menu that is low carb. Most carb-counters avoid Del Taco or modify their order to eliminate carb-heavy ingredients. Second, the typical Del Taco menu item is rather high in Sodium like the Epic Fresh Guacamole Burrito with 2080mg or the Epic Scrambler with 2140 mg. Naturally, heart patients should avoid Del Taco. For complete details of nutrition facts Del Taco, see their nutritional guide.