Festive Black bean vegan Mexican casserole
Secret Mexican Spice Mix
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cilantro flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
Vegan Mexican casserole items
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup minced onions
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes (14.5 oz each)
- 2 cans black beans (drained and rinsed 14.5 oz each)
- 2 medium zucchini (quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 8 oz cheddar-style nondairy cheese (Try Daiya brand)
Optional Carefree Garnish
- Vegan sour cream (We like Tofutti)
- Green onions (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- In small glass bowl, mix spices together.
- In a food processor, add 1 – 1/2 cans of tomatoes and 1/2 cup minced onions. Blend until semi-smooth. Add Mexican spice mix. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Saute 1/2 cup onions until translucent. Add the green pepper and zucchini. Stir fry until vegetable soften. (about 2 minutes) Reduce heat to simmer and add tomato blend. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In lightly oiled 9 x 13 baking dish, create 2 layers of ingredients as follows: 1 layer corn tortillas. 1 layer tomato mixture. 1 layer beans. 1 layer cheese shreds. Repeat same pattern.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes,
- Cut into squares and serve on plates. Apply optional garnish as you wish. Another awesome recipe to consider is Vegan Jackfruit Chili.