Our stirfry kitchen
We love stir fry. We love prepping it, cooking it, and especially eating it. But wait…a chickpea stirfry? This Broccoli Chickpea stirfry recipe is a new favorite on our menu. Not only is this recipe is super quick and easy to make, (great for busy weeknights) but it is a nutritional powerhouse and vegan too. You will enjoy this treat the first time you try it.
Garlic Broccoli Stir Fry
Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 head broccoli (cut into small florets)
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained) 15 oz can
- cooked rice for serving
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar (balsamic is ok)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (other sweeteners can be used)
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic, and all spices. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and vegetable broth. Fry until the broccoli is tender but not soft, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce: In a medium bowl, combine water, soy sauce, vinegar, maple syrup, and cornstarch. Whisk.
- Pour the sauce in the pan and add chickpeas.
- Bring to a boil until the sauce simmers. Fry for a further few minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/cayenne pepper if needed.
- Serve alone or with cooked rice. Enjoy!
Why a chickpea stirfry?
Chickpeas are not a traditional stir fry ingredient. Normally, I use tofu in my dishes, but recently I started making dishes with chickpeas instead. The results were inspiringly delicious. Like tofu, chickpeas contain substantial amounts of protein. However, unlike tofu, chickpeas are packed with nutrients. For more on the health benefits of chickpeas, read this article from Cleveland Clinic. Finally, Chickpeas are very budget-friendly and readily available. That is to say, I can buy chickpeas in almost any grocery store without having to empty my wallet.
Basically, everything you could wish for in a plant-based meal is in this garlic broccoli chickpea stir fry, which is bursting with flavor, veggies, protein, and other things to love. Simple ingredients make this chickpea stir fry easy to prepare. For those who dislike tofu, this is a vegan stir fry easy alternative.
Need a vegan stirfry sauce? Try our Homemade Hoisin sauce!